Monday, April 15, 2013

Today

I received a text message from my mom at 3:45 pm (eastern time) alerting me to the bombings in Boston. I had to read it several times and even then it didn't quite sink in. It couldn't be true. Never have I ever experienced a national tragedy that was connected to me on such a personal level. Nothing bad could happen in a city where people I love live. It took me three minutes to digest the news and then panic. I sent out two text messages, trying to reach the friends I love. I am not known for being a very emotional person but today I am. Today I've felt everything. For 8 long agonizing minutes I was sick with worry. Horrible theories and images raced through my mind while I stared at my phone waiting to hear back from my two friends. I cried out when my phone buzzed at 3:53 and I let happy tears run as I conversed with my friend about her safety. One down, one to go. Ten minutes passed before I found out my other friend was safe. I've never experienced time filled with so much dread as the minutes waiting for those texts. 

I watched as much of the news as I could stomach and I just can't sit through any more. I consider Boston my home away from home. I love the people there, I love everything about the city. I can't stop the silent tears and I can't understand the empty feeling inside me. All I want are answers. Why did this happen? Who could do this? Where do we go from here? But there aren't going to be any answers that satisfy me, I know this. 

I keep getting up and pacing my small apartment, feeling powerless and small and sadness and relief and uncertainty. And I know that people all over the world are feeling the same things I am. Senseless acts of violence are never understood. I cannot begin to imagine what the people of Boston are feeling if I, a mere outsider right now, am so lost and confused. I ache for them, I weep for them. 

All I know for certain is that when I see my two friends on my next Boston visit, I will tear up and I won't want to let them go. Hold tight to those you love and don't waste any time telling those who matter that you love them. 

And Boston, stay strong my city.

No comments:

Post a Comment