Wednesday, April 24, 2013

I'm Done Y'all

I've had enough. I am so done feeling ashamed, embarrassed, and apologetic for things in my life. Why do I feel this way? Why does it matter what someone thinks about certain aspects of my life? I'm just done with all those pesky feelings...and here's what I am refusing to feel bad about, got an issue? Kiss my ass. 

1. What TV, music, movies, and books I like

For a while I went through a stage where I was like, "I NEED TO READ LITERATURE AND WATCH IMPORTANT MOVIES AND LISTEN TO PROFOUND MUSIC." Do you know what I found out? I HATED that crap, all of those books/movies/tv shows/songs I was "supposed" to like drove me nuts. I don't care if The Artist won best picture, I'm not wasting my time on that. If you don't like the movies I like then don't watch movies with me...or speak to me. 

2. My job

Listen, I have 3 part time jobs. I work damn hard for my money. I pay my bills on time and even have some extra cash to enjoy myself from time to time. So I'm not off doing a "career" job right...whatever. What gives a person the right to judge me for working a "demeaning" job while they are some corporate robot who's sole purpose is to churn out numbers? Nothing. We both pay taxes and bills and whatnot. Don't you dare judge me for the work I do. 

3. How Much I Love My Dog

I probably like him better than you. He makes me happier than most people do. I rest my case. 

4. How I Dress

I like to be comfortable. I don't like heels and I wear dresses only when forced and even then I wear it with disdain. No I don't need expensive labels...my off brand sweats are fine thank you very much. Your expensive, "fashionable" clothes do not make you better than me...maybe just richer. 

5. My Relationship Status

Is there some unwritten rule that states all people 23 and older must be in a relationship or else they will be stoned and exiled, shamed for all eternity? Oh no there isn't? I am happy as an individual and haven't met a man I am interested enough in to date seriously. Whenever someone finds out I'm single they give me a sad smile and say, "oh you'll find someone soon, I'm sure." I usually break out in hives and sputter out some unintelligible response. I'm basking in my singleness. 

Ok, I think I'm done. But for real, why was I (and probably you) still feeling weird and apologetic about these things? Not one of these define who I am or factors into what kind of a person I am. I will now, and forever more, proclaim these points with pride! If you don't like it, go find someone else to annoy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment