Saturday, April 27, 2013

The 7 Movies On My Shelf That Every Human Needs To Watch

I am, more than almost anything else in my life, an avid movie watcher. I love going to the movie theater, I love watching movies at home, I love quoting movies, I love movie trivia, and I love intelligent discussions about movies. What I'm trying to articulate is, I FREAKING LOVE MOVIES. Fun fact, I can literally have an entire conversation in just movie quotes. I suppose I gained this thirst for cinema from working at a movie theater when I was in high school. Or perhaps it came from my parents' love for movies or maybe my brother...I don't remember when it started but it has continued throughout my life. I own 136 movies (this doesn't include seasons of TV). I know, it's outrageous. 

My sister and I talk movies constantly. Recently I told her I was going to write this post and her feathers ruffled and she challenged me...she told me to write mine and then she'd write her own list and we'd compare. Obviously mine will be better. My movies are perfect. So here are the seven movies on my shelf that every human being should watch (in no particular order, it was hard enough to only pick 7, i refuse to rank them)...

Silence of the Lambs 


Why it's on the list...it is referenced constantly; in other movies, in books, in tv and for good reason. Anthony Hopkins is deliciously creepy as Hannibal Lector, Jodie Foster shines as Clarice, and that guy who plays Buffalo Bill gives me the willies. I've seen this movie over and over but it never fails to scare me. It's not too outrageous as far as horror films go so you could really believe this might happen. The last "scary" scene of the movie gets me to scream out loud every time. This film has no equal, don't be stupid...watch it. 

The Princess Bride 

 
If you've never seen this movie we probably aren't friends. I'm dumbfounded by anyone who hasn't seen it. First, it's proof that, at one point, Cary Elwes was hot...super mega hot. Second, it has Billy Crystal as an old, wrinkly man. Those are minor pluses. It has romance and action and hilarious jokes and a giant and eels and TRUE LOVE EVERYONE. Who doesn't love TRUE LOVE? I will unfriend anyone that doesn't like this movie. 

V for Vendetta 


"Remember, remember the fifth of November..." CHILLS. This one, ah man, so hard to describe without giving much away. The acting is on point and the story is intricate yet not so confusing you can't follow it. It flashes glimpses of a post-apocalyptic America that are terrifying. It's beautiful and heartbreaking and full of hope.  

50/50


I laughed and cried and then laughed and then cried some more. This movie gives a realistic look into the world of cancer (and might I add not just cancer, as a person with an incurable disease this movie connected to me on a very deep level). You don't have to be a cancer survivor to love this movie, to feel it. Everyone has had a brush with cancer and you see people from your life in the characters. The dialogue is smart and refreshing, the acting is wonderful, and it's impossible not to fall in love with this film. Trust me.    

10 Things I Hate About You


Tell me you don't love this movie and I'll call you a lying fool. This movie is hysterical. It is predictable and corny and ridiculous and gives you the warm and fuzzies. Heath Ledger will charm the pants right off you and JGL is simply adorable. Plus it's got that chick from "The Secret World of Alex Mack"...best show ever. And not just girls find this movie funny...I'm looking at you Kevin. 

The Lorax


"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." Wise words Lorax, wise words. Obviously Dr. Suess is awesome but I had serious doubts about this movie. My mother had to drag me kicking and screaming to see this. I LOVED it. It's funny, great for kids, and has a really important, serious message. Don't screw up the planet...oh and don't be a crappy friend. The music is good and the voices fit smashingly. Really great animated movies are rare these days. This is one of the greats.

Mean Girls

 
Never have I ever, heard anyone say "I don't like Mean Girls." You know why? BECAUSE THIS MOVIE IS THE BEST THING EVER. I don't go a day without dropping at least three Mean Girls quotes and/or references. This is easily the most quotable movie I own. Hilarious, truthful, and life changing...so fetch. 

Honorable Mention...

Pitch Perfect 


This gets honorable mention for it's sheer rewatchability (yes I just made up that word, deal with it). I laugh until I cry when I watch it, which is at least once a week. Plus the music and singing is fantabulous...Aca-believe it bitches. 

No comments:

Post a Comment