Monday, March 18, 2013

Call me Mom

I don't care what people say, owning a dog is like having a child. Perhaps I didn't know exactly what I was getting into when I obtained Jordy but becoming my mother wasn't exactly what I signed up for. Let me count the ways I've become a mom....

1. I've had dreams where he gets stolen, falls in a pit, dies, gets hurt, etc. The list goes on and on and each dream is more horrifying than the last. I wake up in a cold sweat and instantly grab him. He thinks I'm insane. 

2. I do the "mom stomp." I'll call him and when he's nonresponsive I'll "mom stomp" to wherever he is and drag him away. I've seen my own mother do this MULTIPLE times. 

3. The way I call him mirrors the way a mom calls her kid. It starts out all sweet, "Jordy come on buddy!" Then I get a little annoyed, "Jords, let's go.' Then I wig out, "JORDY COME HERE RIGHT NOW! RIGHT FREAKING NOW!" 

4. I pick eye boogers off his face every day. I've cleaned up vomit, pee, and sick off my clothes and floor. I'm constantly cleaning up his mess.

5. There are days when, honest to god, I look right at him and say, "Come on, find something else to do right now." This horrifies me. My mother said this to me all the time growing up. 

6. There are moments when all I want is to cuddle with him and he squirms away like a reluctant teenager. 

7. I will show anyone who is near me pictures of him. I'm gross like that. 

8. My sister and I have "moms' night out" where we intentionally leave the pups at home. We have a blast and do whatever we want but we both are secretly missing our kids the entire time. 

9. When he was a baby sometimes it looked like he wasn't breathing...I would panic, wake him up, and then practically cry when I realized he was alive. I assumed he'd die of SIDS. 

10. I've wagged my finger in his face when I've scolded him

11. When he misbehaves I snap my fingers at him

12. I would kill and/or die for him 


1 comment: